According to reports, Indian acting icon Sridevi died of cardiac arrest in Dubai on Saturday. She was 54.
1. Sridevi was born on August 13, 1963. She was named Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan upon birth
2. She lost her father during the shooting of Yash Chopra’s Lamhe (1991) in London. She flew home for the last rites and returned to work to shoot a comedy sequence with co-star Anupam Kher.
3. Sridevi’s father was a lawyer and her mother tongue is Tamil.
4. She started her career at the age of four in Thirumugham’s devotional film, Thunaivan (1967)
5. Not many people know that Sridevi was down with 103 degrees fever, while shooting Chalbaaz’s famous song ‘Na Jaane Kaha Se Aayi Hai’.
6. Sridevi has worked in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada films.
7. She has also won 5 Filmfare Awards for Best Actress in a leading role.
8. Sridevi made her Hindi film debut as a lead actress in Solva Sawan (1979)
9. In 2013 Government of India awarded her Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honor.
10. Sridevi did playback for Sadma(1983), Chandni(1989), Garajna (1991), Kshana Kshanam (1991).
11. Sridevi was the first choice for Indra Kumar’s Beta. She was supposed to star opposite Anil Kapoor in the film but declined the offer because she had already done a string of films with the actor.
12. Sridevi was considered for a role in Steven Spielberg’s 1993 film Jurassic Park. Spielberg wanted to cast her for a brief role. But she was at the peak of her career in Bollywood then and rejected the offer. Taking up a Hollywood project would have meant a long break from Bollywood and she was not ready to lose out on her Bollywood projects because of one Hollywood film.
13. Sridevi was director duo Abbas Mustan’s first choice to play the female lead in Baazigar.
14. When she made her debut in Bollywood, Sridevi was not comfortable talking in Hindi. Her voice was mostly dubbed by Naaz. Rekha had dubbed for her in the film, Aakhiri Raasta. Sridevi dubbed for her dialogues for the first time in Chandni.
15. 13 year old Sridevi played Rajnikanth’s step mom in a Tamil movie “Moondru Mudichu”
16. She had named her two daughters as Jhanvi and Khushi, after the heroines in husband Boney Kapoor’s films Judaai (1997) and Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai (2000).
17. Jaya Prada was considered Sridevi’s strongest competitor and the two actors didn’t share a cordial relationship. During the shoot of Maqsad (1984), Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra decided to break the ice between them and locked them up in a room hoping that they would make peace. But when they opened the door, both Sridevi and Jaya were sitting silently in the two corners of the room.
18. In her initial days in Tamil cinema, she was mostly paired with Kamal Haasan. In fact, Sridevi, Kamal Hassan and Rajinikanth did several movies together where Rajinikanth portrayed the role of the antagonist. The audience appreciated the onscreen pairing of Kamal Haasan and Sridevi. Both of them have done around 23 films together. One of the most famous movies starring the duo is Moondram Pirai which was also remade in Hindi as Sadma.
19. After her marriage to Boney Kapoor in 1997, Sridevi quit acting in films. She made a comeback to Hindi cinema in 2012 with the film English Vinglish. She will soon be making a comeback to Tamil cinema in Vijay’s film, Puli where she plays the antagonist. Between these years, Sridevi tried her hands at television with a series called Malini Iyer in 2004 but it didn’t meet with much success. Also a long-delayed film of her, Meri Biwi Ka Jawab Nahin co-starring Akshay Kumar released in 2004. However both Sridevi and Akshay Kumar had disassociated themselves from the film by then.