The Income Tax department has launched an e-facility to link an individuals’s Aadhaar number with the Permanent Account Number (PAN). The government had recently made it compulsory to link the Aadhaar with the PAN for filing of income tax returns, beginning July 1. Your PAN card could be rendered invalid by December this year if you don’t link it.
The Income Tax Department has made it easy for taxpayers to link their PAN with Aadhaar with just a 2 step process which does not even require to login or register at the e- filing website. This facility can be used by anyone to link their Aadhaar with PAN.
Here is how to link Aadhaar card to PAN :
- The income tax department’s e-filing website – incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in – has a new link on its homepage for connecting Aadhaar with PAN of a taxpayer.
- There is no need to log in or be registered on e-filing website of the income tax department. This facility can be used by anyone to link their Aadhaar with PAN.
- The link requires a person to key in his or her PAN number, Aadhaar number and the “exact” name as mentioned on the Aadhaar card.
- After verification from the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), the linking will be confirmed. “In case of any minor mismatch in Aadhaar name provided, Aadhaar OTP (one-time password) will be required,” the income department said in its advisory to taxpayers.
- The OTP will be sent on the registered mobile number of the individual as provided in the Aadhaar database. You will get the message that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
- The Income Tax Department has urged taxpayers to ensure that details like date of birth and gender in PAN and Aadhaar are exactly the same, to ensure linking without failure.
- In rare cases where the name mentioned on the Aadhaar card is completely different from that on PAN, the linking attempt will fail and the taxpayer will be prompted to change the name in either of the two databases, the tax department said.
- The tax department introduced the new simplified system after receiving complaints that taxpayers who had used initials in one and full name in the other were not able to link the two unique identities.
- Facility to link Aadhaar is also available after logging into the e-filing website under the Profile.