Arsenal FC (Football Club) is an English professional football club based in Holloway, London, that plays in the Premier League, the top flight of English football. While every Football Club has its own special history and facts, Arsenals have their own set of facts that many will find interesting.
Here are few Amazing facts about Arsenal FC that every Arsenal FC and English Premier League fans must know.
1. Arsenal FC got their nickname ‘The Gunners’ because they were formed by a group of cannon makers in 1886 at the Woolwich, Arsenal.
2. Arsenal FC is the only league team still in existence that has never been relegated till date. Arsenal has been in the top flight of English football since 1919-1920 and continues to do so till date.
Image Source : freshwallpapers.net
3. Arsenal FC manager Arsene Wenger was the first foreign manager to lift the English Premiership title back in 1997-98.
4. Arsene Wenger is the longest serving manager of Arsenal FC he joined the Gunners back in 1996 and is still the manager of the club.
5. Arsenal was the first ever English Premier League team to beat Spain’s Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeu, Germany’s Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena and Italy’s AC Milan at San Siro.
6. Arsenal are the first and only British side to ever defeat both Milanese teams ‘FC Internazionale’ and ‘AC Milan’ at the San Siro –They defeated Inter Milan 5-1 in UEFA Champions’ League group stage on 25th November 2003 and AC Milan 2-0 in UEFA Champions League second round of the second leg on 4th March 2008.
7. In 1993 Arsenal became the first team to win both the FA Cup and League Cup double.
While its David O’Leary who holds the record for the most appearances for Arsenal, (722 appearances from 1975 to 1993) it was Arsenal legend Thierry Henry who has scored the maximum number of goals for the Arsenal team, he scored 226 goals in 369 games from 2000-07.
8. There is a fierce rivalry between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur as both clubs are neighbouring each other.
9. While everyone knows the North London derby that is contested between Arsenal FC and Tottenham Hotspur every year is one of the oldest rivalries in football. It is also believed that the animosity between the two clubs is borne out of a scandal that happened during the World War. It is said that back in 1919 the FA was looking to increase number of clubs in the First Division and Henry Norris, had either bribed or influenced the FA to promote the club from Second Division to the First. Though this theory is not proved, it is believed that this promotion came at expense of many other clubs that also included Tottenham Hotspurs.
10. Arsenal FC owes their colors to Nottingham Forest. Back in the days a group of players from Arsenal approached their former club for spare kits and in a show of generosity, Forest obliged and gave them kits dipped in red. So even many decades later, the colors of Arsenal FC have stayed the same and have not been changed.
Image Source : freshwallpapers.net
11. Between 1890 and 1900, Arsenal FC enjoyed local domination which naturally gave a more professional outlook to the club’s ambitions. Shocked at this the London football authorities expelled Arsenal from the London FA and that same year Arsenal FC changed their name to Woolwich Arsenal.
12. Back in 1913, Arsenal FC moved to Highbury after they were relegated to the Second Division after they were able to win just one home game that season (only time in club’s history that they have been relegated) and within two years of their move up north, changed their name permanently to Arsenal FC.