Real Madrid Club de Fútbol commonly known as Real Madrid Soccer Team, or simply as Real, is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain.
Real Madrid Soccer Team: Real Madrid Football Club is probably one of the biggest clubs in the world today, but how much do the fans of this iconic club really know? There are still many facts about this club that many would not know and would thus find interesting.
So here are 15 interesting facts about Real Madrid CF.
1. Real Madrid is one of only three clubs in Spain’s history that has never been relegated from La Liga’s top flight. The only other two clubs that have not been regulated are Athletic Bilbao and FC Barcelona, FC Barcelona is also Real Madrid’s fiercest rivals.
2. Real Madrid is one of the founding sides of the Royal Spanish Football Federation which came into existence on January 4th, 1909.
3. The Club’s name “Real Madrid” Means “Royal Madrid” in Spanish. The Madrid club’s name was changed to Real Madrid in 1920 when King Alfonso the thirteenth granted Royalty status to the club.
4. Real Madrid’s highest home attendance was durning a 2006 Copa del Ray match with a crowd of 83,329.
5. Real Madrid is the only club ever to win La Liga five times in succession. It accomplished this feat on two different occasions, the first between 1961 and 1965, and the second between 1986 and 1990.
6. Even though Real Madrid has won so many La Liga titles, they have never won the treble. They have achieved the double that is La Liga plus Copa Del Rey or La Liga plus the European Cup on six occasions but never a treble.
7. We all know that Real Madrid have always been a dominating club, but did you know that between 1961 and 1980, they were so dominant that they won 14 of the 20 La Liga titles and then again between 1961 and 1990 they Madrid won 19 or the 30 league titles.
8. Did you know that Real Madrid was voted by FIFA as the “most successful club of the 20th century”.
9. Former England captain and British footballing legend David Beckham won just two trophies during his four-year spell at Real Madrid. First in his initial year with the club, when he calmed Spanish Supercopa and then again the La Liga in his very last game for Real Madrid.
10. Juan Monjardin was Real Madrid’s first Spanish international player; he played in his first international match against Portugal on December 17th, 1922.
11. Madrid won its very first La Liga title back in 1932 unbeaten. They won 10 games that season and drew eight in an 18-round campaign. They had finished that season three points ahead of runner-up Athletic Bilbao that year.
12. A Harvard University study on football showed that Real Madrid Football Club was the most popular team in the world, with a fan base of over 228 million supporters.
13. Real Madrid Football Club is the second richest in the world in terms of revenue and the second most valuable club in the world to date.
14. Real Madrid was truly unlucky in their first Spanish football league season. In the year Spanish League was founded that is 1929, Real Madrid led throughout the league season, but on the final day of the season Madrid lost to Athletic Bilbao and FC Barcelona were crowned champions.
15. The most unforgettable match between Real Madrid and rivals FC Barcelona was probably the one that took place in 1943, where Real Madrid defeated Barcelona 11-1 after having lost 3-0 the previous match.